Despite the high prevalence of mental illness (up to 40%) among people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), little is known about the best approaches for the needs of people with a dual diagnosis of I/DD and mental health challenges and their families.

The Arc recently released a report entitled, 2018 Support Needs of People with I/DD and Co-Occurring Mental Health Challenges and their Families. With partners FSRTC and Boston University, The Arc explored the family support needs of this population in order to

• Discuss and better understand the family support needs and challenges of families that include a person with I/DD and co-occurring mental health needs;
  • Discuss and better understand the mental health needs of and experiences of people with I/DD and co-occurring mental health challenges; and
  • Develop recommendations on what practices, policies, or assistance families that include a person with a dual diagnosis would best help families to address their challenges.

Download the report: https://fsrtc.ahslabs.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2019/04/190108-FSRTC-Support-Needs-IDD-Mental-Health.pdf