In 2019 as part of its work as an FSRTC partner, The Arc conducted 4 focus groups that probed the training needs of and barriers that disability, mental health, and education professionals face when serving people with I/DD and co-occurring mental health challenges. The focus of these groups included:

• Discussing and better understanding the training needs and challenges that disability, mental health, and education professionals face when serving people with I/DD and co-occurring mental health challenges and their families;
  • Identifying key topics and issues that professionals should be trained on regarding serving people with I/DD and mental health challenges; and
  • Developing recommendations on the best opportunities for training format and delivery across all professionals.

Stakeholders from Maryland, Indiana, and Florida participated in the focus groups. The results illustrate gaps in professional knowledge such as misperceptions around the capabilities of people with I/DD and mental health challenges. In addition, the research brief highlights best training and dissemination formats for disability, education, and mental health professionals, and groups that should be included in future training such as police and law enforcement.

Read the full research brief HERE.